• Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Dez. 2002 23:37 #36523 von Obi-Wan
Bruce Springsteen wurde erstellt von Obi-Wan
2002 belongs to Springsteen
By Jon Friedman, CBS.MarketWatch.com
Last Update: 12:50 PM ET Dec. 29, 2002

NEW YORK (CBS.MW) -- On the surface, it seemed that the compelling pop culture figure of 2002 was rapper-turned-movie-star Eminem. But my vote goes to Bruce Springsteen, who re-established himself as the most influential American rock and roller of the last quarter-century.

I saw that first-hand during Springsteen's concert in the Pepsi Arena in Albany, N.Y. earlier this month. Springsteen brilliantly combined the two elements that have dominated his approach: commercial entertainment and social impact.

Springsteen and the always-terrific E Street Band performed for close to three hours. The show was divided between his classic rockers ("Born to Run," "She's the One," "Ramrod," Badlands") and songs with deeper meanings.("Empty Sky," "Land of Hope and Dreams," "Darkness on the Edge of Town," Worlds Apart").

In 2002, Springsteen recorded and released "The Rising" for his longtime label Columbia/Sony (SNE: news, chart, profile). It garnered predictably strong reviews and sales. The album was billed as Springsteen's commentary on the terrorist attacks of 9/11 and it was treated so seriously that a discussion of it seemed appropriate for "Nightline" as well as VH-1. It may have been the first album geared more to C-Span than MTV.

While it may have been the most media hyped album of recent times, it probably wasn't Springsteen's strongest piece of work ever. No matter. It fit 2002.

I could've lived without hearing Springsteen's preaching ad nauseum to promote "The Rising." It was fun to hear him and the E Street Band playing power pop on David Letterman's show and "Today." But Springsteen was much less interesting featured in an extended interview with Ted Koppel in reverential tones that might have seemed more appropriate for, say, Moses.

Springsteen is a great rock and roll star but he can be tedious when he tries so hard to project a deeper meaning. It's a trap that John Lennon almost fell into in his post-Beatle career. Bob Dylan managed to sidestep it, though he has carried a far heavier burden than Springsteen. And Bono of U2, watch your step. You're teetering right on the edge.

More notably than the new album, Springsteen also, improbably, embarked on an old-fashioned barnstorming tour of one-nighters throughout the U.S. It spanned Madison Square Garden in New York City, one of rock and roll's Meccas, to an arena in North Dakota. He was happy to bring his music to people in places that were often afterthoughts on the rock and roll map.

In Albany, Springsteen's full arsenal was on display. A Friday night in Albany, in the middle of a Nor'easter, no less, may not sound like fun for most pampered pop stars. But Springsteen (who reportedly hired an Amtrak train to transport him to and from the gig) seemed to have a ball.

As usual on this tour, the floor seats were ripped out and the audience members were allowed to jump up and down and that made a big difference. It was nice to see so many middle-aged people and kids get so excited about rock and roll music again.

In a concert setting, Springsteen, more than any rock star, has an ability to turn a big hockey arena into his living room. True, his self-indulgent jams with the E Street Band at the end of some of the songs go on for way too long. But his quiet songs have the solemnity of church sermons and his out-and-out rock and roll screamers make you feel like you're back at a good old sockhop stomp. How many other people or bands can do that? None.

Springsteen has achieved something special, particularly in the past 10 years. He has won an Oscar for a song ("Streets of Philadelphia") in the most daring movie of the 1990s ("Philadelphia").

Springsteen has become an America entertainment icon. He is to pop music what Tom Hanks is to movies: the gold standard. Hanks, naturally, was asked to represent Hollywood in the movie industry's tribute to the heroes of 9/11 in a fund-raising telethon last year. Hanks represents the gravity and mass appeal of the entertainment industry better than any of his peers right now.

Springsteen pulls off the same feat. He can play rockers or ballads with equal power and grace. In one moment, he can dance comically and slide across the stage during a new song called "Mary's Place" and in the next instant, he can hold up a hand and ask for quiet while he articulately discusses the need for the audience to contribute money to help the poor and homeless.

It seems like Springsteen is in a very good place these days. He looked very happy on stage and he seemed particularly pleased that the "The Rising" had such an impact on social discourse.

He has released a well reviewed album (his first rock and roll album of new songs in a decade) and ripped through an entertaining tour (which will continue around the world in 2003). It's nice to see someone get as much pleasure as he gives to his audience.

Jon Friedman is Media Editor for CBS.MarketWatch.com in New York.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um uns Deine Meinung zu dem Thema mitzuteilen.

Mehr
29 Dez. 2002 23:43 #36530 von Copperhead
Copperhead antwortete auf Bruce Springsteen
Wien, 25.06.03 :up:

• Obi-Wan
  • Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Dez. 2002 23:45 #36534 von Obi-Wan
Obi-Wan antwortete auf Bruce Springsteen
;)

Mehr
29 Dez. 2002 23:47 #36539 von Copperhead
Fand die Setlists am Anfang der Tour ziemlich einfallslos; teilweise sogar mehrere Shows hintereinander das gleiche Programm (gabs noch nie). Gegen Ende des Jahres kam dann endlich Schwung rein...

• Obi-Wan
  • Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Dez. 2002 23:48 #36542 von Obi-Wan
Ich hatte irgendwo im Netz einen Springsteen pool entdeckt, wo man auf die setlists wetten kann. Müsste den link mal raussuchen.

• Obi-Wan
  • Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 Dez. 2002 23:49 #36544 von Obi-Wan
<a href=' www.10avenue.net ' target='_blank'> www.10avenue.net

Ordnung ist das halbe Leben.

Mehr
30 Dez. 2002 00:00 #36548 von Copperhead
American Skin als Opener ist ja wohl der Hammer...

• Obi-Wan
  • Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
30 Dez. 2002 00:02 #36549 von Obi-Wan
For the first time on the Rising Tour, 'The Rising' didn't open the show

Bruce Springsteen & The E Street Band made a statement by opening their latest concert in Cincinnati with 'American Skin', a song originally written about the shooting of unarmed Afro-American Amadou Diallo by four police officers.

This time, the song obviously was played because of a similar incident in Cincinnati a while back. Bruce dedicated it to "the people and organizations in the city that are working for a just Cincinnati and a just America."

Hat er es letzte tour gespielt?

Mehr
30 Dez. 2002 00:07 #36556 von Copperhead
Ja; während der letzten Tour geschrieben und gespielt (ist auf der Live in NYC drauf). Sollte dann eigentlich als Studioversion aufs Album, bevor der 11.09. "dazwischenkam".

• Obi-Wan
  • Obi-Wans Avatar Autor
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
09 Jan. 2003 13:56 #40300 von Obi-Wan
The Best of 2002's Concerts and CDs: Our Online Readers' Survey

By Joe Heim
washingtonpost.com Staff Writer
Tuesday, December 31, 2002

I get little sympathy from my friends on those rare occasions when I complain about my job. But going out several nights every week to see live music can wear you down a bit. For instance, I could have done without sitting bleary-eyed through the tedious Lambchop show at the Black Cat, the even more tedious Cousteau at the 9:30 and the overrated Strokes at Constitution Hall. And even though I'm a big Dolly Parton fan, I was disappointed with her 9:30 show where she read all of her lyrics off a teleprompter. I mean, it's not like she was singing covers. She wrote those songs herself!

But on the whole, the bad shows were few and far between. It was another strong year for live music in our area with standout performances by Richard Thompson at the Birchmere, Alan Jackson at the Patriot Center, Norah Jones at Iota, Earl Scruggs at the Birchmere, Fugazi at Fort Reno, Salif Keita at Lisner, Bonnie Raitt at Constitution Hall and Dave Alvin at Iota among many others. There were also shows that I didn't make it to, but heard good things about like the Hives at the Black Cat, Paul Westerberg at the 9:30, the Smokin' Grooves tour at Nissan and Common at the 9:30.

Admittedly, no one is forcing me to pick the year's best concerts and CDs, but like any self-serving music writer, I'm going to do it anyway. And guess what, you can too. After all, that's the beauty of the Internet, isn't it? So submit your picks for the best (and worst, if you must) music of 2002. Please keep it as short and interesting as you can; we'll post new reader responses regularly.

I'll start.

The Year's best concerts:
1. Etta James at the Warner Theatre, July 11 The soul legend is as down and dirty as 'Lil Kim without ever having to utter an obscenity. A gem of a show
2. Bruce Springsteen at the MCI Center, Aug. 10 On a healing mission since 9/11, the Boss and the E Street Band will not stop until their work is done.
3. Yeah Yeah Yeahs at the Black Cat, March 21 Living up to the hype is never easy. But this Brooklyn rock trio put on a brief, but memorably outrageous performance that matched the pre-show buzz.
4. Linton Kwesi Johnson at the 9:30, Sept. 15 A rare U.S. show by the icy-cool reggae dub poet felt like a glimpse into a simmering soul.
5. Bob Dylan at the Patriot Center, Nov. 22 The end of the Never-Ending tour saw Bob dropping to his knees to play "Summer Days." And keener eyes than mine noticed he placed his Oscar statue on top of his amp.
6. Musiq at the 9:30, May 30 One of the upstarts of second-generation Philly soul, Musiq (formerly Musiq Soulchild) made a convincing case for the new breed.
7. James Brown at the 9:30, Feb. 25 On a cold, cold night, the godfather of soul led a giant band through a smoldering, hit-laden revue.
8. Sigur Ros at the Lincoln Theatre, Nov. 4 Iceland's most famous export since Bjork played lots of lush songs with no names and the result was both hypnotic and moving.
9. Rilo Kiley at Metro Cafe July 22 Magical and entrancing indie rock from a California band I'd never heard of until I saw them at this show.
10. Kid Rock at the Patriot Center, May 11 There's lots to loathe about Kid Rock, but Pam Anderson's beau does have fun in concert. Even if he destroys your hearing in the process.

The Year's Best CDs (or a dozen I'd recommend buying):
1. Bruce Springsteen "The Rising" (Sony)
2. Sleater-Kinney "One Beat" (Kill Rock Stars)
3. Common "Electric Circus" (MCA)
4. Norah Jones "Come Away With Me" (Blue Note)
5. The Beatings "Italiano" (MidRiff)
6. Eminem "The Eminem Show" (Aftermath/Interscope)
7. Rilo Kiley "The Execution of All Things" (Saddle Creek)
8. Billy Joe Shaver "Freedom" (Compadre)
9. The Roots "Phrenology" (MCA)
10. Nina Nastasia "The Blackened Air" (Touch and Go)
11. Wilco "Yankee Hotel Foxtrot" (Nonesuch)
12. Canyon "Empty Rooms" (Gern)

Dieses Bild ist für Gäste verborgen.
Bitte anmelden oder registrieren um das Bild zu sehen.

Bruce Springsteen brought the rock of "The Rising" to the MCI Center, Aug. 10. (File Photo)

Moderatoren: Mike.S.
Die Internetseite verwendet an mehreren Stellen so genannte Cookies. Sie dienen dazu, das Angebot nutzerfreundlicher, effektiver und sicherer zu machen.