file Bruce - The Seeger Sessions

Mehr
21 März 2006 09:25 #466570 von Copperhead
Copperhead antwortete auf Bruce - The Seeger Sessions
Diese Gattung musste gestern schon eingeschränkt hören, da es sich um Samples von nur 20 Sekunden Länge handelte. Was diese Gattung in meinem Falle dann aber nicht davon abhielt, gleich in uneingeschränkte Begeisterung zu verfallen. Mit den einmalig gehörten Schnipsel natürlich unsinnigerweise, unberechtigterweise, unangebrachterweise - aber irgendwie auch wieder nicht, da diese kurzen Eindrücke das bestätigten oder zumindest nicht überwarfen, was ich mir von der Besetzung versprochen hatte: Banjo- und Acousticgitarren-getriebene Gute-Laune-Melodien im flotten Teil, die ruhigen Stücke unverkennbar Bruce, allerdings "exotischer" instrumentiert als auf D&D und erst recht auf TomJoad. Es hörte sich tatsächlich sehr spontan, sehr roots-bewusst, im Bruce-Katalog sehr ungewohnt und zum Plattencover sehr passend an.

Wirklich überrascht kann nur sein, wer sich noch nie mit der amerikanischen Folkmusik beschäftigt hat. Und ganz bestimmt wird Bruce die Lieder nicht in vollkommen authentischer Manier darbieten, sondern genügend "Jetzt" und genügend "Bruce" drinlassen (er kann ja auch gar nicht anders). Aber wer lediglich auf ein zweites "The Rising" und auf eine E-Street-Rock-Platte wartete, wird wohl enttäuscht sein. Gut so.

Ich freue mich tatsächlich riesig und bin schon ein wenig nervös. Auch und gerade, da diese Platte den Folkweg weitergeht, diesmal scheinbar mit einem Bein auf der sunny side. Live könnte diese Truppe der Oberhammer sein, insbesondere, wenn auch alte Bruce-Klassiker in neues Gewand gekleidet werden.

Aber: Es bleiben halt weiterhin 20-Sekunden-Schnipsel.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um uns Deine Meinung zu dem Thema mitzuteilen.

Mehr
21 März 2006 16:05 #466748 von Tom Joad
Tom Joad antwortete auf Bruce - The Seeger Sessions
Das klingt gut. Sehr gut sogar! :up:

Ich glaube auch, dass die Sache live absolut zündet. Hoffentlich werden bald die Termine bekannt gegeben. Ich muss planen können :schwitz:

Mehr
21 März 2006 16:07 #466750 von Copperhead
Ich plane eher, keine Karte dafür zu bekommen. <_<

Mehr
21 März 2006 16:15 #466761 von Tom Joad
Tom Joad antwortete auf Bruce - The Seeger Sessions
Daran allerdings habe ich ganz versteckt auch schon gedacht.
Aber: es kann nicht sein, was nicht sein darf. Vielleicht bleiben diesmal viele Dumpfbeutel zu Hause. Und wir können uns auf Bruce in kleinen Hallen mit feinem Publikum freuen.

Man wird ja wohl mal träumen dürfen...

Mehr
21 März 2006 16:21 #466774 von Copperhead
Von Österreich aus eher nicht. Aber die Hoffnung stirbt ja bekanntlich usw...

• mythos
  • mythoss Avatar
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
23 März 2006 20:44 #467604 von mythos
mythos antwortete auf Bruce - The Seeger Sessions
<a href=' www.tc.umn.edu/~seni0005/sounds/bruceWSO.mp3 ' target='_blank'> www.tc.umn.edu/~seni0005/sounds/bruceWSO.mp3 hier gibt's die samples noch in einem file

Mehr
23 März 2006 21:34 #467614 von Copperhead
Hammer. Sind das Samples zu allen Songs? Ich konnte über den von mir geposteten Link nur in sechs reinhören.

Danke. :beifall: :up:

Mehr
23 März 2006 21:42 #467615 von Copperhead
From the great Stan on LD:
"
Bruce and the Seeger Sessions Band just finished up five days of rehearsals over the past two weeks at the Paramount Theater in Asbury Park.
From what I heard, this tour is going to be a lot of fun. It's going to be very upeat and we're going to be dancing in the aisles.
Here's some notes on each day of the rehearsals:

SPOILER ALERT....If you don't want to know what songs they have been working on, they read no further.

MONDAY, MARCH 13

There's a lot of instruments. Today I heard a banjo, guitars, flute, violin, fiddle, piano, drums, Hammond B3 organ, trumpet, trombone and a lot more. Sounds like Bruce with an orchestra at times.
Today's setlist:
1. Old Dan Tucker
2. Jesse James
3. John Henry
4. Erie Canal
5. Jesus Was an Only Son.
Starts off sort of the same as we've heared it then the band kicks in.
6. If I Should Fall Behind.
Very nice sounding, nice accordian with it.
7. Oh, Mary Don't You Weep.
Outstanding! This is going to be a lot of fun. Before the band played this song Bruce had it played over the sound system so they could get a feel for it. Has a Zydeco swound to it. He ran through it a couple of times and worked on some of the arrangements with the band.
At the end of a real hot version of this Bruce yelled out: "People are going to be throwing their clothes off!"
One of my friends commented that this sounded like Bob Dylan on the Band Basement Tapes.
8. Jacob's Ladder.
Again played over the sound system first. Bruce then told the band, "I want it to sound more like Chuck Berry than Django Reinhardt. For those who don't know Django Reinhardt is a jazz legend, idolized for his incredible guitar playing which is documented on more than 400 recordings.

9. Old Dan Tucker.
10. Jesse James.
11. Erie Canal.

My friend, who is very knowledgable about music, described as "It's a combination of classic America music. New Orleans jazz, Zydeco, jump blues, swing. It is anything but the four-four time folk music."

THURSDAY, MARCH 16

A woman who was riding a bike by told me Bruce had been working on the new songs earlier in the day.
I didn't get there to early in the afternoon and I did hear Bruce reworking some "Bruce" songs and I, again, liked what I heard.
1. Adam Raised a Cain.
A lot of violin. Could hear Patti on the background vocals. It reminded me of the way Johnny 99 was played toward the end of the Rising Tour in 2003. Could hear banjo also.

2. If I Should Fall Behind.
A much slower version, a country-style version, it reminded me of a country-western band playing it in some bar around 1:30 a.m. when you slow-dance with your wife or girlfriend.
There was pedal steel being played. And a saxaphone solo.
Patti even did one verse of the song.
Reminded me of "Mansion of the Hill" from the Reunion Tour when Bruce and Patti would do a duet.

3. Ramrod.
Real nice! It's the version that Bruce did in the encores of the Devils & Dust Tour. With the harmonica and you've got to hear it with the full band. Sounds real good. Again violins playing. He'll have the crowd up and dancing with this one.

MONDAY, MARCH 20

1. Mrs. McGrath
Has a traditional Irish arraignment.

2. My Oklahoma Home.
Nice Ed Manion sax solo.

3. Ramrod
Played like he did last week, which was like the encores during the Devils & Dust Tour.

4. Froggie Went a Courtin'
Starts out acoustic then goes to the full band.

5. Dan Tucker
6. Jesse James.
7. Eyes On the Prize
8. We Shall Overcome
Sort of a gospel arraignement.
9. Jacob's Ladder
10. My Oklahoma Home (again).
11. O, Mary, Don't You Weep
This one is going to have everyone dancing.

12. John Henry
Lots of Soozie violin. There was also a guitar solo and an
accordian solo.
13. Mrs. McGrath.
Bruce worked on the beggining a bit. He really showcases the other
musicians on this song. Lots of different solos.
14. Froggie Went a Courtin'
Reminded me of something you would hear at Disney's Country Bear
Jamboree. Bruce plays some harmonica and Soozie again has a solo.
15. Johnny 99
A New Orleans style. Someone said it reminded them of the Neville
Brothers.
16. Pay Me My Money Down.
Worked on the beginning with Soozie and Lisa Lowell signing some
vocals. Song highlights a lot of different instruments. There was a
violin solo, a trumpet solo and LaBamba had a trombone solo. The
horns really shine on this song.
17. Adam Raise A Cain
Banjo intro....Lisa and Soozie on background vocals. He did it twice.
18. Further On Up The Road.
Very slow and deliberate. Just Bruce at first on the guitar. Sort of like the version of Promised Land he did on the Devils & Dust tour (without the guitar banging). Later a banjo, accordian, bass and dobro joined in.

19. Open All Night
The highlight of the day! This is going to be fun. At first the horns were working on a bit of a New Orlenas riff. It has a very jazzystyle. A "talking blues" was how some described and it did some like a faster version of Dylan's "Highway 61."
When Bruce got toward the end and sang "hey, ho, rock'n'roll, deliver me from nowhere." he said, "I need everyone to sing with me on this one!"
The horns really go strong toward the end and there's a lot of piano and again, Soozie violin. Bruce at one point said "Wooooooooooooooh!"
And then he yelled out: "Play it Mark Clifford!""
Clifford is the banjo player.
I think people will be dancing to this one too.

20. Some sort of musical riff with the horns. Kind of a ZZ Top style.
21. If I Should Fall Beind.
Same way he played it last week, a slow-countryfied version.
Someone said it reminded them of a George Jones-Tammy Wynette duet as Bruce and Patti shared the vocals. Patti must have arrived late, because I did not hear her on any of the songs before this.
22. Jesse James.

Jon Landau was there. He was observing from inside the theater.

TUESDAY, MARCH 21

Another cold day in Asbury Park, another hot rehearsal by Bruce Springsteen and the Seeger Sessions Band.
The fifth, and from what I heard, final (for now), day of rehearsals.

1. Jacob's Ladder
2. Oh, Mary, Don't You Weep.
3. My Oklahoma Home
4. Jesse James
5. Erie Canal
6. Eyes On The Prize.
7. We Shall Overcome
8. Pay Me My Money Down
9. Shenadoah.
Violin intro with a banjo. Bruce worked on the beginning of it a bit before going into the song.

10. The Long Black Veil
This is a Johnny Cash song from 1964 and I also believe it has been covered by the Dave Matthews band. People told me Bruce had been working on this in the morning also.

11. John Henry.
Bruce sang one line of this kiddingly, "John Henry had him a red-headed woman."

12. Buffalo Girls.
This is one of the bonus track on the CD. I believe this was the first time Bruce rehearsed this. Lots of different solos and some nice playing by the horn section.

13. Froggy Went-A-Courtin.
14. Adam Raised a Cain.
Bruce worked on the vocals of the female singers a bit. And then worked on the end of the song, where different people sing the "Adam Raised a Cain" part, one after another.
15. Pretty Boy Floyd.
This is a Pete Seeger song that is not on the new CD.

16. Open All Night
Someone said it's like the "Jump Blues."
A lot of fun. Had us dancing which helped us stay warm.

At the end of Open All Night, Bruce said: "Thank you everyone. It's been a great five-six days. Let's hear it for the band!"
We could hear some applause from inside the theater.
Bruce then said, "This is just the tip of the iceberg!"

The only song that I didn't hear rehearsed was "How Can I Keep From Singing" which is one of the bonus tracks on the CD.

This is going to be a fun tour. It will be different but I think we will walk out of these shows saying we had a good time. "

Mehr
23 März 2006 21:53 #467621 von Colonel
Colonel antwortete auf Bruce - The Seeger Sessions
Apropo "Bruce"...habe heute zufällig erfahren, daß Springsteen den Mannfred Mans Earthband Titel/Hit "Blinded By The Light"
geschrieben hat... :blush: ...is ja´n Ding...man lernt doch nie aus..... :up:

<span style='font-size:14pt;line-height:100%'>@ Coppy:</span> hat er IHN auch mal selbst aufgenommen bzw. wenn nicht, gibts ne Live Version von ihm auf CD? Würde ich gerne mal hören...! :up:

Mehr
23 März 2006 22:39 #467636 von Copperhead
Erstes Lied auf der ersten Platte "Greetings from Asbury Park, NJ". Live gespielt ja, offiziell veröffentlicht live nein.

Ebenso MM-Covers von Bruce sind übrigens Spirit in the night und For you (alle von der Greetings). Spirit gibts von Bruce live '78 auf der Live 1975-85 und als Piano-Version auf der Barcelona-DVD sowie als B-Seite auf einer der Lonesome Day-Maxis; For you, auch von 1978, gabs als B-Seite auf einer der Live 1975-85-Auskopplungen (mir fällt gerade nicht ein, auf welcher; Fire? weiss nicht mehr).

Live spielt er alle ab und an; For you auf der D&D-Tour als Piano-Version z.B. recht häufig.

Moderatoren: Mike.S.
Die Internetseite verwendet an mehreren Stellen so genannte Cookies. Sie dienen dazu, das Angebot nutzerfreundlicher, effektiver und sicherer zu machen.