file James Burton und Wanda Jackson über Elvis

Mehr
29 März 2010 18:18 #778646 von DumbAngel
James Burton und Wanda Jackson über Elvis wurde erstellt von DumbAngel
Habs von elvisnews, wo auch noch ein Interview mit Ernst Jörgensen dabei war. Ich fands aber langweilig, daher nur das hier:

A Heart That's True: Remembering Elvis
By By L. Kent Wolgamott / Lincoln Journal Star, Mar 26, 2010

Guitarist says King lives on

Ask James Burton about Elvis Presley, and the guitarist gets straight to the point.

"He was an incredible musician and singer," Burton said. "It was God's gift. Everything he did was so natural. He wasn't a great guitar player. But he was like the drummer in the band - he kept the rhythm. The guy, to me, had perfect pitch. He could start singing one of his songs out of the blue and it would be in the key he recorded it in. It was incredible."

Burton, one of the great guitarists in country and rock 'n' roll history, played with Elvis for the last nine years of Presley's life.

After working in recording sessions that started with "Viva Las Vegas" - "They said, ‘Watch Ann-Margret and when she gets real sexy, throw some hot licks in'" - Burton was asked to put together the band for Elvis' return to live performance at Las Vegas' International Hotel in 1969.

While seen by some as a low point in Elvis' career, the Las Vegas shows were far from that. The spirit, intensity and pure entertainment of those engagements can be heard on "Elvis Presley: On Stage," a just-released two-disc set that combines live recordings from shows in August 1969 and in February 1970.

The 1969 disc finds Elvis doing his '50s hits and then-current singles. On the other disc, he's expanded the repertoire to include the best songs of the day, such as The Beatles' "Yesterday," Neil Diamond's "Sweet Caroline" and Tony Joe White's "Polk Salad Annie."

"Elvis loved the Vegas shows," Burton said during a panel at the South By Southwest Music Conference in Austin, Texas. "He loved playing with the big orchestra. But his main love was the small rhythm section behind him. He was very close, he played very tight. He had a strong powerful voice, and we had a strong band behind him."

The Vegas orchestra and Presley's touring group, known as the TCB (Taking Care of Business) Band, were well rehearsed. But Burton said there was no way to fully prepare for an Elvis show.

"You had to pay attention to him," Burton said. "He was kind of like Jerry Lee Lewis. ... You just had to watch him on every song. Sometimes he'd stretch out a song. Sometimes he'd stop in the middle of a song. He might have a solo. He might not."

Surprisingly, Burton said, Elvis and his band rarely had monitors, making playing even more difficult.

"We played so many shows and I couldn't hear anything," Burton said. "All I could hear was screaming. I stood next to the drummer and sometimes couldn't hear the drums. I could hear my amp and that's it."

Presley generated even more of a frenzy in the 1950s, drawing hundreds of screaming teens to his shows and mobs when his entourage stopped anywhere.

"Whenever anybody saw a pink Cadillac with a big bass strapped on the top, they knew Elvis was in town," said Wanda Jackson, who toured with Elvis in the mid '50s and was "his girl" for a little more than a year.

Jackson was an aspiring country singer when she met Presley. He gave her advice that changed her life, making her the Queen of Rockabilly.

"He told me, ‘Look at the record sales; it's the kids buying the records. You need to record songs that appeal to them,'" Jackson said. "No one wrote rock 'n' roll songs for girls back then. There weren't any girls doing it besides me."

After seeing her versions of "Fujiyama Mama" and "Let's Have A Party" turn into hits, Jackson said, "I thought, ‘Wow, Elvis did know what he was talking about.'"

On Aug. 16, 1977, Burton and the TCB band were in a plane to Portland, Maine, when the pilot got a call telling him to return to Las Vegas.

"We couldn't figure out why Elvis would cancel the tour," he said. "We had to stop in Pueblo, Colo. That's where we were told that Elvis had passed. It was a very sad time. ... A lot of things went through my mind, losing such an incredible person."

But Burton emphasizes Elvis continues to live on through his music: in arena-filling performances that the TCB band continues to give, with Presley shown on a big screen. And in a new Cirque du Soleil troupe in, appropriately enough, Las Vegas.

Bitte Anmelden oder Registrieren um uns Deine Meinung zu dem Thema mitzuteilen.

Mehr
29 März 2010 18:20 #778648 von DumbAngel

"He was an incredible musician and singer," Burton said. "It was God's gift. Everything he did was so natural. He wasn't a great guitar player. But he was like the drummer in the band - he kept the rhythm. The guy, to me, had perfect pitch. He could start singing one of his songs out of the blue and it would be in the key he recorded it in. It was incredible."

Sowas is mir auch schon öfter bei Elvis aufgefallen. Er sagt auch einfach mal "Wir spielen in D" und ohne dass jemand ihm ein D gegeben hat, haut er eines raus. Sehr beeindruckend !

• Gelöschter Nick
  • Gelöschter Nicks Avatar
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 März 2010 18:49 #778651 von Gelöschter Nick
Gelöschter Nick antwortete auf James Burton und Wanda Jackson über Elvis

Sowas is mir auch schon öfter bei Elvis aufgefallen. Er sagt auch einfach mal "Wir spielen in D" und ohne dass jemand ihm ein D gegeben hat, haut er eines raus. Sehr beeindruckend !

Ob Elvis - wie Burton meint - wirklich das absolute Gehör hatte, vermag ich nicht zu sagen. Habe mich das aber auch schon öfters gefragt. Wenn ja, wundert mich, dass er sich die Grundtonart immer vorspielen ließ, denn dann hätte er sie nicht gebraucht. Ich kenne kein Beispiel, wo er komplett ohne Referenzton losgesungen hat, wie von Dir beschrieben. Weißt Du so eine Stelle auf irgendeiner Konzert-Aufnahme?

Es kann gut sein, dass er das absolute Gehört hatte, ohne es zu wissen.

Mehr
29 März 2010 20:20 #778689 von DumbAngel

Weißt Du so eine Stelle auf irgendeiner Konzert-Aufnahme?

Da müsste ich suchen, hab nur gerade meine ganzen Elvis-CDs nicht hier, sondern in Hannover. Ich meine mich nämlich an sowas zu erinnern (in meinem Kopf fliegt irgendwas von wegen "C" rum). Andererseits will ich auch nicht ausschließen, dass es vielleicht so ein Fall war wie auf der TTWII-SE wo sie gerade ein Lied gespielt haben und Elvis einfach in der selben weitersingt.

Mehr
29 März 2010 20:30 #778692 von Schorni
16.04. ist Wanda Jackson übrigens in Berlin. Wen es evtl interessiert. :up:

• Gelöschter Nick
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
29 März 2010 20:44 #778695 von Gelöschter Nick

Andererseits will ich auch nicht ausschließen, dass es vielleicht so ein Fall war wie auf der TTWII-SE wo sie gerade ein Lied gespielt haben und Elvis einfach in der selben weitersingt.

Ja, "Blue Suede Shoes" gefolgt von "All Shook Up", beide in A-Dur. Da sagt er den Musikern auch explizit "Same chord!" Auf jeden Fall war Elvis musikalisch sehr fit, der wusste ganz genau, was in seinen Songs passierte und hörte jeden kleinen Fehler. Daher wundere ich mich umso mehr, warum es ihm oftmals völlig egal war.

Mehr
30 März 2010 02:14 #778757 von KingOfTheJungle
KingOfTheJungle antwortete auf James Burton und Wanda Jackson über Elvis

While seen by some as a low point in Elvis' career, the Las Vegas shows were far from that.

:huh:

• Gelöschter Nick
  • Besucher
  • Besucher
30 März 2010 07:31 #778769 von Gelöschter Nick

:huh:

Er meint sicher diejenigen, die es generell als Verrat am Rock'n'Roll ansehen, in Las Vegas aufzutreten. Da wird dann nur gerne mal vergessen, dass Elvis nach dieser Theorie den Rock'n'Roll schon im Juni 1956 verraten hat.

Mehr
30 März 2010 10:34 #778787 von KingOfTheJungle
KingOfTheJungle antwortete auf James Burton und Wanda Jackson über Elvis

Er meint sicher diejenigen, die es generell als Verrat am Rock'n'Roll ansehen, in Las Vegas aufzutreten. Da wird dann nur gerne mal vergessen, dass Elvis nach dieser Theorie den Rock'n'Roll schon im Juni 1956 verraten hat.

Ich dachte, wenigstens die wären mittlerweile ausgestorben .. :null:

Mehr
30 März 2010 18:30 #779065 von edde

Surprisingly, Burton said, Elvis and his band rarely had monitors, making playing even more difficult.

"We played so many shows and I couldn't hear anything," Burton said. "All I could hear was screaming. I stood next to the drummer and sometimes couldn't hear the drums. I could hear my amp and that's it."

Das nehme ich ihm nicht ab.
Das mag vielleicht 1969 noch so gewesen sein, als zB auch so Sachen gemacht wurden wie das Schlagzeug mit nur 1 Mikrofon (und nicht JEDES einzelne Teil des Schlagzeugs mit einem eigenen Mikro) abzunehmen.
Aber 1977 war das bestimmt nicht mehr so!

Moderatoren: Mike.S.
Die Internetseite verwendet an mehreren Stellen so genannte Cookies. Sie dienen dazu, das Angebot nutzerfreundlicher, effektiver und sicherer zu machen.